ATX Community

Consent To Disclose Personal Tax Return Info

Edward

Yes, I read through it the other day, downloaded and printed it out. If any client asks me to provide tax information to another, I think I will forward the document and ask what they think my charge should be to comply. Already I do have in my engagement letter that the returns I prepare are only for submission to the authorities and permission must be asked to use for any other purpose. So far, I haven't been asked for that permission other than one time several years ago. We'll see what the outcome is but I am looking ever more seriously into retirement!

>>You got to see these new rules<<

This is about outsourcing tax prep to India, isn't it? That's a procedure I heartily endorse, because only the the big firms have the capability and it is so offensive to the general public that it will certainly drive some clients in my direction.

Several items I neglected to emphasize in my original post was: (1) In reading the ATX "red print istructions" at the top of the Consent Form, note that it suggests that tax preparers seek legal advice in regards to specific requirments regarding section 7216 compliance; and (2) IRB 2008-29, Section 2 (Background) states that a violation of Section 7216 is a misdemeanor, with a maximum penalty of up to one year imprisonment or a fine of not more than $1000, or both, together with the costs of prosecution. WOW!! No wonder "Margaret said in her post she was seriously thinking of retirement".

Several items I neglected to emphasize in my original post was: (1) In reading the ATX "red print istructions" at the top of the Consent Form, note that it suggests that tax preparers seek legal advice in regards to specific requirments regarding section 7216 compliance; and (2) IRB 2008-29, Section 2 (Background) states that a violation of Section 7216 is a misdemeanor, with a maximum penalty of up to one year imprisonment or a fine of not more than $1000, or both, together with the costs of prosecution. WOW!! No wonder "Margaret said in her post she was seriously thinking of retirement".

H & R Block has used the 7216 routinely in the past to get the client's permission to have their mortgage company

(now sold), and their stock brokers (now also sold) permission to contact them about other products and services that

HRB wanted to sell them. They are continually pushing the Tax Pros to "Sell, Sell, Sell" other products and services

instead of letting them do what they were trained to do.... Prepare Taxes!....

Now all they have left to "sell", are the "Emerald Card" thing, "Peace of Mind"!? , and Ral/Rac products...!!!

Ugh! Glad I'm not there!

Taxtrio