ATX Community

New tax software

jainen

I really appreciate Mel's high-level technical cautions for developing new software (in rchinchilla's thread, "Poll: top 20"). I've been skeptical of the open source project all along, but all I know is as a user. Frankly, clients won't accept apologies; somehow I have to get the job done. Two years ago even mighty Intuit got in exactly the kind of pickle Mel warns about--their servers couldn't handle the traffic. They actually made the I.R.S waive the filing deadline for Intuit customers. In my opinion, you'd have to be a well-heeled nut case to run a start-up against that kind of power.

But there IS plenty of opportunity for new tax software. TaxTools continues virtually unchallenged even though it still runs like a DOS program. Essential databases like RIA Checkpoint cost more than basic tax prep software; it's a decent search engine but could be a lot better, and it's all public domain documents anyway. Same with capital changes. Tracking gains and losses through all the new investment vehicles remains inexplicably awkward considering everything is already computerized. There is nothing comprehensive available for audit support, a professional specialty with a bright future. Tax planning for divorce, retirement, college, inheritance, and all the other life events is only haphazardly integrated. Client correspondence with personalized news and updates is totally untouched.

I've been skeptical of the open source project all along, but all I know is as a user.

I am to some extent as well. Well, no more than I am of any other software really. But what I mean is that if the primary reason to use some piece of software is that it's open source that's really no reason at all. I need the software to do the job and the licensing doesn't much matter on that.

That said, I do use a lot of open source software. Mozilla Firefox is a piece that a lot of people use. I also tend to use Open Office on many of my machines because I don't need MS office or the cost (many avoid the cost by pirating the software which I avoid doing.) I have a file server on Linux. I use peazip for creating zip files (instead of the most commonly "use trial version indefinitely" system my friends use of winzip).

So if rchinchilla's group can put out a good piece of software for the 2009 or 2010 or whatever tax year I'll give it a serious look and if it's awesome well, I might use it. The fact that it is or isn't open source isn't a big consideration for me.

>>Does jainen remind you of Randy? <<

My 12-step program doesn't permit even a tiny peek at TV, so I had to look this one up on Wikipedia. I found that "Randy fashioned a fishing hook out of parts from his glasses and the tribe was finally able to get some meat." Later he gave his last cookie away, taking none for himself.

The good news about me is that I have NEVER copyrighted anything. If you happen to like something I post, you are free to use it without dealing personally with me at all. If you don't like something I post, you still don't have to get personal.

That is hillarious.

Does that mean ERC is Jeff Probst?

Tom

Lodi, CA

No, ERC would be one of the camera guys running around like a mad man trying to catch something hilarious on film. Or better yet, he'd be the person from the crew that would munching down on a huge cheeseburger and look over to one of the castaways and ask, "Want some?" Then be like, "Oh wait, nevermind - you need to outwit, outlast and outplay. It's a great burger though.."

ERC is quite the character, but a very good friend.

****JOKE****

jainen lets write a tax book! Interested? We can call it "You don't know -bleep- about taxes!". Similar to the book "You don't know how to read". I ask the questions and you can make me feel like -bleep- but then proceed to answer the question. You can promote it on forums and make a million bucks. Don't take this post in the wrong way. Its intended to be a joke unless you're really interested. I know I'm dealing with a sensitive bunch here but this is a joke.