ATX Community

MRD

TAXMAN

According to The Tax Book's interpretation and others that I have read, this is a 2009 provision only. You are not required to take RMD's for 2009, but must take them for 2010. I can find no discussion for extending, but with the economy, a new president and congress, as we know, anything is possible.

Does anyone know about the new rules for IRA distributions in 2009? thanks in advance. I read both versions and neither one seems to make sense. Does it mean I do not have to take required distribution from IRA or 401 for tax year 2009 only?

You will not have to take an additional withdraw in 2010 if you waived the 2009 RMD according to Kiplinger's.

Notice 2009-09 provides guidance to financial institutions on the reporting rules applicable to required minimum distributions (“RMDs”) for 2009 in light of the enactment of the Worker, Retiree, and Employer Recovery Act of 2008, P.L. 110-458 (the Act). Section 201 of the Act waives any RMDs for 2009 from individual retirement arrangements (IRAs) and retirement plans that hold participant benefits in individual accounts. This notice modifies the reporting requirements applicable to RMDs from IRAs to reflect the waiver of the RMD rules for 2009.

Notice 2009-09 will be in IRB 2009-5, dated February 2, 2009

As I understand it, if the taxpayer is required to take a distribution before April 1, 2009 based on the balance of the account at 12/31/2007, the payment is still required by April 1, 2009. This would only be for those taking their first distribution because of reaching the required age. It is the distribution that is based on the balance of the account at 12/31/2008 that is not required to be paid in 2009. The 2010 distribution would be based on the balance of the account as of 12/31/2009.