ATX Community

Form 8109-B Story

JohnH

A person who does some part-time work for me lives near the IRS office, so last week I asked her to drop by there to pick up as many Forms 8109-B as they would hand out. She called from the security desk to say she needed my address & Fed ID number, which we both assumed was a security formality. After giving them the info, she went to the service desk and the person helping her FILLED IN the info on the 8109-B & handed it to her. She explained that she was there to get a few for my office and they told her they can only give out 8109-B forms one at a time & they must fill them in before handing them out.

I know IRS wants to do everything possible to force people to use EFTPS, but this is ridiculous. Bureaucrats are frequently petty, but other times I'm convinced they don't know when they've crossed the line between silly and downright stupid

>>they've crossed the line between silly and downright stupid<<

You asked her to "pick up as many Forms 8109-B as they would hand out." Next time you will be able to give her more specific instructions, since you now know the exact number.

Speaking of instructions, have you seen the ones for Form 8109-B? They specify that it can only be used for an immediate need before the printed forms come.

The IRS has a method available to tax professionals to obtain blank deposit coupons.

According to the Internal Revenue Manual tax professionals may send a letter to the IRS on their stationary and obtain up to 25 blank coupons.

Sample Order Letter For Form 8109-Bs

Internal Revenue Service

National Distribution Center

P O Box 8901

Bloomington, IL 61702-8901

Re: Request for Blank Copies of Form 8109-B

Dear Sir:

As allowed in the Internal Revenue Manual I am requesting that I be sent 25 blank Form 8109-Bs. It is requested that they be mailed to me at:

[Put your address here]

If you have any questions please contact me at:

Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Fax: zzz-zzz-zzzz

Email: [email protected]

Thank you for your help

Sincerely,

so then what happens when some misguided soul just prints his own forms???

zeke

I did this a few months ago and it took about a month or so to receive them. May I also add that I have to provide to a client that had a booklet because they changed him from a 941 filer to a 944 annual filer and his deposit coupons did not have a bubble for the 944 deposit. You would have thought that they would have sent him new booklets when they made the change but they did not.

Laurie

There are three ways to make an EFTPS deposit. You can use the software provided by the IRS. You can call in the deposit on the telephone automatically. You can go to the IRS website. None of the three ways was working. I called the IRS to ask how I was suppose to make a deposit. They said I had to wait and hope one of the ways was available before the three day period was up so that I would not get a penalty. I asked if I could use an 8109-B and take the deposit to the bank. They said I could but that would be an automatic 25% penalty. Seems the IRS makes it as difficult as possible to follow the rules just so they can collect penalties.

Many of my clients use EFTPS, but your experience is one reason I don't encourage certain of my clients to use it. For example, the client who is still posting her payroll, sales, and checkbook info in an Appleworks data base on an APPLE IIgs computer.