ATX Community

Standard Deduction?

My mom is doing taxes for my grandparents and we have a question about Line 23c. Instructions for line 23c states 'the real estate taxes must be taxes that would have been deductible on Sch A (Form 1040) if you had itemized your deductions'.

Since my grandparents have never itemized and will not itemize this year, can they still include what they paid for real estate taxes?

I assume you are talking about line 23c on form 1040A

And in answer to you question:

This year a taxpayer can claim an up to additional $500 in their standard deduction for real estate taxes paid (Single) and up to a $1000 MFJ

Atx will calculate it correctly

Had to think about that one because even on the easiest returns I never do anything less than a full 1040

Had to think about that one because even on the easiest returns I never do anything less than a full 1040

I also only do 1040 forms. All forms are then the same and consistent and I know immediately where to look for information.

@Kyle Yes they can take an addition to the standard deduction for the qualifying real estate taxes.

NV & IL - tough commute?

What do you mean?

Well I was going through a 2 year plan to relocate from Chicago area of IL to Las Vegas NV. Then in mid July last year made the move to NV permanently. But the majority of my clients are in IL and still use me for a variaty of things including tax prep. Ahh technology is a wonderful thing.

So in my typical facetious manner I changed my profile to denote the long commute technology has to take to get stuff to me!

Ahh so nice not to have to deal with the Chicago Winter, and summer for that matter (dry here and it does make a difference).