ATX Community

efile form 4852

ajuroff

It looks as if I can create the efile with no problem, although the return has a substitute form w-2 with it. Can we actually e-file

with form 4852? I guess I never thought we could. (maybe we can't and the return would get rejected...I don't know) But it seems like it wouldn't even let me "create" the efile with it.

Form 4852 is not a form that gets filed electronically (see the list @ http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/providers/artic...173842,00.html).

All that gets sent is a W-2 (which hopefully is marked nonstandard) and of course that can be sent at the start of filing season. The risk you would have filing 4852 before the IRS really wants you to is if they did an e-file compliance audit of you and found out you had a bunch of returns with forms 4852 before you were supposed to.

Read the instructions at the top of the form, and you will see that you are to enter the info as a W-2, and as David says, it should be marked 'nonstandard'. And if you read the instructions, you will see that it says in the second paragraph "Generally, do not file Form 4852 before April 15th." That is because they want the t/p to make every reasonable effort to get the W-2 from their employer. And let's be honest, we know that often the client just does not want to be bothered with making much effort, they are just in a hurry to get their refund. Or perhaps they know the employer is holding their W2 for them to come pick it up, [and return their uniform, or some such?] and they don't want to do that.

Read the instructions at the top of the form, and you will see that you are to enter the info as a W-2, and as David says, it should be marked 'nonstandard'. And if you read the instructions, you will see that it says in the second paragraph "Generally, do not file Form 4852 before April 15th." That is because they want the t/p to make every reasonable effort to get the W-2 from their employer. And let's be honest, we know that often the client just does not want to be bothered with making much effort, they are just in a hurry to get their refund. Or perhaps they know the employer is holding their W2 for them to come pick it up, [and return their uniform, or some such?] and they don't want to do that.

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you KC. The problem I'm running into this year is that many business folded in 2008. Especially small sole proprietors and when they did so they apperantly didn't see the need to send W-2's or they quit their payroll service before the W-2's were processed. I have at least two clients coming in this year who only have their last paystub from a job that is no longer in business and they are not able to locate the owner to even check on the W-2.

Deb!