ATX Community

To all experts on W-7 Form

Lucho

I need to fill out several W-7 to apply for ITINs. The problem I see is that the newest W-7 form (revised in

Jan.. 2009) is still in draft mode. I remember 4 years ago an IRS office in San Jose CA refused to accept W-7s from prior year (in this case would be W-7 revised in Feb. 2008) I would like to know what are you doing in this situation. Are you sending the 2007 form revised in feb. 2008 or are you waiting for the 2008 new form revised in Jan 2009?

If you open the 2008 program you can see the W-7 still not ready.

I rarely do this kind of forms and that is why I asking for information that can guide me.

Thank you

Lucho

In addition to what version of form, make sure that your client keep copies of everything sent. And don't expect fast responses.

I ran into a situation a couple of years ago where the W-7 processing munged up and/or lost W-7's for several clients. One set we had to send THREE times and the last time went straight to the taxpayer advocate I was working with after rounds 1 & 2, and he hand-carried the lot to the W-7 processors. THAT set finally went through.

Catherine

In addition to what version of form, make sure that your client keep copies of everything sent. And don't expect fast responses.

I ran into a situation a couple of years ago where the W-7 processing munged up and/or lost W-7's for several clients. One set we had to send THREE times and the last time went straight to the taxpayer advocate I was working with after rounds 1 & 2, and he hand-carried the lot to the W-7 processors. THAT set finally went through.

Catherine

Thank you, Katherine.

Lucho