ATX Community

SALE OF RESIDENCE/DIVORCE

terry

T/P's divorced and she continued to live in jointly -owned home until sale in 2008. I'm preparing his taxes (he did not live in home 2 out of 5 yr). He is still able to satisfy use test because she lived there as her main home till sale? Its been awhile since I've had this situation. Thanks in advance!

Did the divorce decree say so?

Use of home after divorce. You are considered to have used property as your main home during any period when:

You owned it

AND

Your spouse or former spouse is allowed to live in it under a divorce or separation instrument and uses it as his or her main home.

taxbilly

Did the divorce decree say so?

Use of home after divorce. You are considered to have used property as your main home during any period when:

You owned it

AND

Your spouse or former spouse is allowed to live in it under a divorce or separation instrument and uses it as his or her main home.

taxbilly

Yes to both. Thanks!

Yes to both. Thanks!

Now to add to that ...I have one that its been 5 years she still lives there per devorce decree and now that the house is paid off she pays him rent for his half of ownership. I'm not sure what to do with that. Do I just claim the rent as misc rent on line 21 it's not a rental for profit. He was the one paying the mortgage as part of her alimony and then after five years they were supposed to sell and spilt the money but because of market and having a child at home.... she didn't want to sell. They went back to attorneys and it came back that she had to pay rent for his half. Now I also don't know it that will stop the 121 exclusion when they do sell. I don't know if 121 has a time limit Anyone have this ?

thanks