ATX Community

Social Security benefits and workers' comp offset

Cathy

Client has been receiving workers' comp benefits for a job related injury, of course. He settled with the WC company in 2007. Applied for Social Security Disability and was ruled disabled. Client has never received a check of any sort from SS to date.

He did receive, however, a 1099SSA for 2008 showing approx. $9,000 in taxable benefits for 2008. It further shows a "Medicare Part B" premium of $82.60. I'm assuming that in Dec of 2008, he became eligible for Medicare after the normal 2 year wait for an under age retiree. Clients was billed for the $82.60 and continues to get bills for 2009 for his Medicare Part B premium.

The SSA-1099 also indicates a "workers' compensation offset" of $8917.40 ($82.60 + 8917.40 = $9000).

Again, client has never received the first check from social security since all of this began.....wondering if anyone has ever seen this before?????

Can't figure out why soc. sec. reported $9,000 is reported as taxable social security earnings!!!!????!!!! I've never had a case such as this for 40 years.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input!

Cathy

Client has been receiving workers' comp benefits for a job related injury, of course. He settled with the WC company in 2007. Applied for Social Security Disability and was ruled disabled. Client has never received a check of any sort from SS to date.

He did receive, however, a 1099SSA for 2008 showing approx. $9,000 in taxable benefits for 2008. It further shows a "Medicare Part B" premium of $82.60. I'm assuming that in Dec of 2008, he became eligible for Medicare after the normal 2 year wait for an under age retiree. Clients was billed for the $82.60 and continues to get bills for 2009 for his Medicare Part B premium.

The SSA-1099 also indicates a "workers' compensation offset" of $8917.40 ($82.60 + 8917.40 = $9000).

Again, client has never received the first check from social security since all of this began.....wondering if anyone has ever seen this before?????

Can't figure out why soc. sec. reported $9,000 is reported as taxable social security earnings!!!!????!!!! I've never had a case such as this for 40 years.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input!

Cathy

I'll take a stab at it, don't know if I'm write or not. I think what happened is that when he became eligible for ssa disability, you had to pay back an overpayment made by his workers comp insurance. Therefore ssa is saying that they paid him the 9,000.00 but in fact they sent it to his worker's comp insurance company as a payback!

Like I said, it's just a guess!

Deb!