ATX Community

Census Bureau Survey?

AnnieR

My neighbor received an American Community Survey, from the census bureau. It looks legitimate but I have not heard of the Census Bureau sending anything out. Usually there is something in a newspaper that surveys are being taken. She is nervous about sending out her personal information without any verification of authenticity. Has anyone else received these lately? I really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Annie R

My neighbor received an American Community Survey, from the census bureau. It looks legitimate but I have not heard of the Census Bureau sending anything out. Usually there is something in a newspaper that surveys are being taken. She is nervous about sending out her personal information without any verification of authenticity. Has anyone else received these lately? I really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Annie R

Annie,

You and your neighbor may want to look at this:

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/.

Wayne

1) "is sent to a small percentage of our population on a rotating basis; "

2) "helps determine how more than $300 billion per year is distributed;"

If

they will promise to send me $300 billion, I'll volunteer to fill it out..

I'm with you on that. It is really quite a thorough survey, intrusive would be a good word.

Thanks for the information.

Annie

Usually there is something in a newspaper that surveys are being taken.

Actually, having had my mom work for the Census full time for almost a decade, I can guarantee you that this is NOT the case. Surveys are ongoing and cover many subjects all the time (Crime, Consumer Spending, etc). If you don't agree to fill it out, they will come back and back and back, send the supervisor, call you from the regional office and then the Washington office to convince you to fill it out. Luckily my mom loved to talk and had the knack to get people to answer even when they initially resisted, so much so that she was one of the people they would get to call you when you refused the first attempt.

Yes, some of those surveys are really detailed, luckily you aren't getting one that is asking about your drug usage. Even with the statements that the data is kept secret and only used for statistical reporting, I wonder how accurate it is when it asks you when the last time and how frequently you smoked pot, did cocain etc... The good thing, once you have been selected for one of these surveys, you likely won't be selected for another type, although you will get a followup survey later on asking the same questions for trending information.

BTW, if you question if they are actually from the Census, ask them for their Identification. They are required to take it with them every time they go out, and are SUPPOSED to show it to you each time that someone answers the door. They also have an 800 number you can call to verify the identification and authorization for the agent to be working on that particular survey.

Having worked for the Census for a few years, I was also involved with the ACS survey, before I moved into a county with a lower population and was not needed. If you doubt the survey they should have an 800 number listed to contact regarding its authenticity. If you do not respond by mail within a specified time, they will come to your home for a personal interview, so you can either respond by mail or wait for the Census person to come to your home. All Census Representatives MUST have an ID, which they are required to show you when calling on you in your home.

These surveys are being conducted all the time, not just at the beginning of a new decade anymore. The information is used to track various trends and community information. Your response can be helpful to future planning for your community, and/or state.

Having worked for the Census for a few years, I was also involved with the ACS survey, before I moved into a county with a lower population and was not needed. If you doubt the survey they should have an 800 number listed to contact regarding its authenticity. If you do not respond by mail within a specified time, they will come to your home for a personal interview, so you can either respond by mail or wait for the Census person to come to your home. All Census Representatives MUST have an ID, which they are required to show you when calling on you in your home.

These surveys are being conducted all the time, not just at the beginning of a new decade anymore. The information is used to track various trends and community information. Your response can be helpful to future planning for your community, and/or state.

Is there a penalty for refusing to complete the survey?

Is there a penalty for refusing to complete the survey?

There can be a penalty if they choose to persue it. It is usually required by law to complete a Census Bureau questionaire, and if you comply with most of it, and not be a harda__ , with Rep. they generally will not persue it. However, if you are belligerent with the Rep, they may take you to court--it has been done and won by them.

Most of the Reps that I worked with or knew are just ordinary folks and will work with you in the completion of the questions. If you get belligerent with them or threaten them they will turn you over to higher authorities.

They are just like all of us, who do not appreciate being degraded or threatened.