ATX Community

Why do I keep hearing...

Karen Lee

I hear this over and over. Why do you need my social security statement? My last tax preparer never used it. My attorney said my social security is not taxable. I consulted with a CPA and he said my social security is exempt.

How do you guys handle this?

Karen

first off not all attorneys are tax attorney, yet they think they know it all. Next, not all CPA's do taxes, I have a CPA client, but he doesn't do taxes and doesn't want to , just works with the books of the company.

I just point out how the taxablity of social security is firgured out, then go on. If they do not like the answere, let them go on, when tax payer gets the letter from the IRS, the charge them full return price plus 50% to tell them the IRS is right.

Fred

I hear this over and over. Why do you need my social security statement? My last tax preparer never used it. My attorney said my social security is not taxable. I consulted with a CPA and he said my social security is exempt.

How do you guys handle this?

Karen

The first time or two, I like to turn over their SSA form, and just go thru the dadgum worksheet with em. I get so tired of this, too. Why would your form have this worksheet if there was no way your SS is taxable? I have one guy that I swear next year when he starts that crap, I'm gonna say, "Yeah, let's just leave it off."