ATX Community

RRB 1099-R

Sbrock

I cannot get the Federal tax paid from the RRB 1099 to flow thru to the 1040. I selected the railroad retirement box at the top of the 1099 input form and inputed the federal tax w/h into box 9. Is there anything else that I need to do so the the figure flows thru to form 1040?

Thanks,

Susan

So you enter it like a regular 1099 R and do not select the railroad retirement form at the top of the 1099 R? Im not sure but I think the figures all flow thru to the same place as if it were a regular 1099R. In fact NONE of the figures that I have inputed have flowed thru from the RRB.. do I need to complete both the RRB section and the regular 1099R section?

I cannot get the Federal tax paid from the RRB 1099 to flow thru to the 1040. I selected the railroad retirement box at the top of the 1099 input form and inputed the federal tax w/h into box 9. Is there anything else that I need to do so the the figure flows thru to form 1040?

Thanks,

Susan

I hate those RR things. All these years, I've just put the tax withheld in box 4 of the input. I have never even noticed the selection thing up there. When I selected the option, and changed the tax from box 4 to box 9, mine doesn't go to 1040 either. I'm sure someone can help us. Remember that song that says, "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then"?

I hate those RR things. All these years, I've just put the tax withheld in box 4 of the input. I have never even noticed the selection thing up there. When I selected the option, and changed the tax from box 4 to box 9, mine doesn't go to 1040 either. I'm sure someone can help us. Remember that song that says, "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then"?

Cheer up it could be worse. So I cheered up and sure enough it got worse! :(

Okay . . . we are talking about 2 different types of benefits. The following is cut from a taxslayer.com help center, but I think it clarifies the issue. Susan, sorry. I didn't ask in my previous posts if you were talking about Tier 1 or Tier 2 benefits.

RRB-1099 & RRB-1099R - Instructions

Tier 1 railroad retirement benefits are equal to the social security benefit that a railroad employee or beneficiary would have been entitled to receive under the social security system. These benefits are called "social security equivalent benefits" and for tax purposes are social security benefits. These benefits are shown on the BLUE portion of Form RRB-1099. Box 5 shows the net social security equivalent benefits for Tier 1 in 2004.

Tier 2 benefits consist of the rest of the Tier 1 benefits, called the "non-social security equivalent benefits," any Tier 2 benefits, vested dual benefits, and supplemental annuity benefits. These benefits are shown on the GREEN portion of the Form RRB-1099R, and are treated as an amount received from a qualified employer plan. Vested dual benefits and supplemental annuity benefits are fully taxable pensions.

To report the BLUE portion of Railroad Retirement , select the Income Menu from inside the Client's return. Choose the Social Security Benefits Menu 1099-SSA. Select, Taxpayer's Social Security Benefits or Spouse's Social Security Benefits depending on who received the form. Enter the amount from the Blue Box, Box 5, Net Social Security Equivalent Benefit portion of Tier 1 Paid in 2004, on the Taxpayer's or Spouse's Social Security Benefits line.

To report the GREEN portion of Railroad Retirement, select the Income Menu from inside the Client's return. Select IRA / Pension Distribution Form 1099-R and then select New to enter a 1099. Enter the EIN and Payer's information.

Enter the amount from Box 7, Total Gross Paid of the RRB-1099R into Box 1 Gross Distribution on the 1099-R screen. Also enter the amount from Box 7, Total Gross Paid into Box 2 on the 1099-R screen. After entering the information into Box 2, enter the amount from Box 9, Federal Income Tax Withheld, into Box 4 of the 1099-R screen.