ATX Community

CA can't get the loss on sale of renta to flow to CA return

ljwalters

Client has sale of rental at a loss. The feds is okay but the losses are not flowing to Ca and the CA D1 is calculating an adjustment ot income and adding the 111,000 to income for state.

This can't be right.

I used the asset disposition to report sale.

any suggestions?

Linda and buddy

Make sure you've made the adjustments, if any to the passive loss worksheets (they're kind of a pain) and then you may have to make an adjustment on the Sch CA; there was a tab last year where I had to enter state differences or the loss. I haven't done one yet this year, but in other years there were some blue boxes you had to fill in on passive income/losses to make the CA return work properly. Every year it gets more automated, but there are always some entries somewhere. I hope this helps; I'm typing while waiting for a particularly huge return to open....

I can't find the place to force the state losses to flow to the CA Sch D-1.

I called tech support and they said to override the D-1 by putting 0 in the federal gain or loss line 19 page 2 of the D-1.

That took 1hour and 45 minutes.

joanmcq do you know how to do it properly or should I just override as they say. Fed and State are the same so the D-1 will not go to ca

Linda and buddy

I have had a few "broken" links where info is not following to Ca from the feds. My main one has been K-1's from both 1065 and 1041 not flowing, especially when there are differences. I have been overridding and also making my own links.

Yes to both questions.

I do have all the state forms open including the D-1, 3885, and the 3801.

And yes the federal is the same as the state. The only diference is with AMT wich is about 3000 more loss which I also don't see but they are not hitting amt anyway.

and yes I tried keying it into the 3801 infact all the numbers are already there they just don't seem to be linked.

Linda and buddy