ATX Community

Signature on return w/ general POA?

jklcpa

Can wife sign a return for husband and attach a general POA? Husband is in alzheimer's unit and could possibly sign return, but with great difficulty. I haven't seen the POA yet, but I'd guess it isn't so specific as to cover signatures on tax returns.

It is my understanding that a POA has to specifically reference tax matters to be acceptable for filing a tax return. Most of the ones that I see do state just that, and we have not had a problem with sending them in to IRS - either with a paper-filed return, or an electronic file with 8453 to transmit the POA. However, attorneys in VA may do them a little differently than Delaware.

With the return open, if you are on the 1040, click on the "Pages & Worksheets" white button at the far left of the page at the bottom, look way down the list, and you will see, right after the Lone 70 worksheet tab, a tab for Explanation for Signature Statement. Using that cause "Injury or disease prevents signing" to print on the signature line, and has a place for you to spell out the reason. It's a handy little tab that most of us never get around to finding.

The same form also can be used to automatically print "Serving in a combat zone prevents signing" by the way.