ATX Community

Can't open a return......

Denne

I am trying to open a tax return and keep getting an error message that it has calculating problems and can open and will be closed. I have tried many times. I was getting it processed in opening to 35% at first then it has opened as far as 39% and that is where it seems to be stopping. I have closed the program and re-opened. I still get the same error. Any ideas of how to get past this error? Of course this is a pretty large tax return.

Thanks for any assistance!

I believe you would be smart to leave it alone, and call tech support in the morning. It clearly has some problem, and you might make it worse if you keep trying things. Rather than lose all the work already done, [i am assuming this is one you have already worked on] I'd wait for tech help with it.

Of course, if I am wrong, and you just rolled it over, then I would delete it, open up last years program, open it up there, save it, and duplicate it, and then try rolling over the duplicated version. If the problem is with something in last year's copy, that might give you a clean copy that will rollover without the problem, and open OK.

I had a problem like that where the return would shut down. I called tech and they said there was a problem with the Asset entry form. Try downloading just the Asset Entry and try to open the return again. Hopefully that works for you. Good luck.

Sara