ATX Community

MA NR return

jasdlm

Client has a property in MA that she can't sell. Received $6337 in net rent. I can't get the MA 1 NR/PY to make any sense. Have added MA Sch NTS L NR. Can't use R/NR (I don't think) because she wasn't a resident at all during 2008. The calculation is coming out to $261 5.3% tax due on page 3, but then nothing shows on line 51 on page 4 and the voucher says $0. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Client has a property in MA that she can't sell. Received $6337 in net rent. I can't get the MA 1 NR/PY to make any sense. Have added MA Sch NTS L NR. Can't use R/NR (I don't think) because she wasn't a resident at all during 2008. The calculation is coming out to $261 5.3% tax due on page 3, but then nothing shows on line 51 on page 4 and the voucher says $0. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Just saw this post and can't answer right now because I have to go out for a while. I will look into this (unless someone else has answered) when I get back and post then. Hang in there!

Catherine

Thanks.

Hi jasdlm --

If all your client has in Mass. is the rental, that is the only thing that should be showing on the Mass. return. The for NTS-L-NR should populate and show line 10 Mas AGI of 6337. That should qualify her for "no tax status" and then thre will be nothing on Form 1NR/PY page 4 line 40 (income tax total).

Does this help?

Catherine

Catherine,

Do I still need to file the MA return?

Thanks.

I'd still file the Mass return. If your client is listed as owner, she'll get a nastygram from Massachusetts demanding its' portion. Mass. renters get to deduct half their rent (up to a deduction maximum of $3,000 per year). They used to ask for the landlord's name and address right on the Form 1. They don't bother with that anymore since they have all the ownership records available online. So they'll be asking questions if you don't pre-empt and answer them first! Also, I don't know when your client left the state, but they are the very dickens to convince that you're no longer a resident, either.

Catherine