ATX Community

MA trusts again-Catherine?

Margaret CPA in OH

It's about those trusts again. I went to the MA website and my reading is that all grantor trusts must file MA2. But the revocable trusts don't file a federal return as they are in the SSN of the grantors and all interest and divs are just reported on Sch B and security trx on Sch D. And this all flows through on the MA1. So do I really have to prepare MA2 forms for accounts in the SSN of the grantors? Thanks for additional insight.

Meanwhile, the regular trusts with 1041 K-1's are not flowing from the data entry sheets to MA E3 on the individual returns. I called support, exported the file and they haven't yet determined the problem. I was told that if I input line 1 and 1 figures from the K-1 onto lines 5 and 6, the amounts would flow to the MA E3. I less than politely pointed out that it wouldn't work properly for the federal return then, wouldn't be the actual data from the K-1, and was not a solution. Does yours work properly?

It's about those trusts again. I went to the MA website and my reading is that all grantor trusts must file MA2. But the revocable trusts don't file a federal return as they are in the SSN of the grantors and all interest and divs are just reported on Sch B and security trx on Sch D. And this all flows through on the MA1. So do I really have to prepare MA2 forms for accounts in the SSN of the grantors? Thanks for additional insight.

Meanwhile, the regular trusts with 1041 K-1's are not flowing from the data entry sheets to MA E3 on the individual returns. I called support, exported the file and they haven't yet determined the problem. I was told that if I input line 1 and 1 figures from the K-1 onto lines 5 and 6, the amounts would flow to the MA E3. I less than politely pointed out that it wouldn't work properly for the federal return then, wouldn't be the actual data from the K-1, and was not a solution. Does yours work properly?

If it's a "regular" grantor-type trust (like "John Smith Revocable Trust, John Smith TTee") that is disregarded for Federal purposes, ignore it and just file the Mass Form 1.

Every year ATX has a major problem with Mass returns. The stuff that is supposed to flow does NOT. And they have never found the problem when I went to them, so I stopped bothering and just override. If you over-ride on the worksheets the info will then flow to the forms and you can still e-file.

But this is a big issue with them, and a recurring one. No solution has been presented to me except for overrides.

Sasha -- let 'em know!!

Catherine

Whew! Thanks so much for this information. I finally just extended these folks - fortunately they have substantial overpayments. I'll give ATX until Monday but I think the override is in my future. The only problem I have with the MA worksheets, though, is that the lines aren't the same as the K-1 lines. It seems they are meant for K-1's from businesses not CRUTs or non-profits.

Thanks again!

Whew! Thanks so much for this information. I finally just extended these folks - fortunately they have substantial overpayments. I'll give ATX until Monday but I think the override is in my future. The only problem I have with the MA worksheets, though, is that the lines aren't the same as the K-1 lines. It seems they are meant for K-1's from businesses not CRUTs or non-profits.

Thanks again!

Once we get past the 15th we can take another look at it if you'd like 9and if ATX tech support doesn't solve the issue for you).

Good luck!

Catherine