ATX Community

Margaret in Ohio 1041-A, 5227 SCH K-1

Terry D EA

Hi again! In the past one had to include a Form 1041 for the data entry and then ignore it. ATX now says that you don't need it and it isn't filed, which I already knew. However, when I deleted the 1041 fro the rolled over CRUT, SURPRISE!, most of the identifying data did not stay with the 5227. I had to reenter it. I did not take the time to start from the beginning.

You probably also know that 5227 has been extensively revamped and now, in most cases, you do not also need 1041A. You do need the K-1 (1041) and the data will flow through. I think next year I may just try as new clients and start with 5227, K-1 (1041) and bunny hop to data entry and see what comes up.

I had a problem with information going to MAE3 so sent the file to ATX and they came back with some stupid stuff I will explain later but a client just walked in. I think this info will help, if not, I will get back to you.

Margaret,

I know you are busy and so am I. Thanks for the reply. Obviously, the program is confused as to which form to input the K-1 information from. Once I deleted the 1041, all flowed to the K-1. Now the only problem I have is I don't agree with the capital gains calculation within the program. I can figure that out just fine. In the instructions for the 5227, a split trust may not need the 1041-A form, this depends on when the trust was orginially created. For the one I am working on, it appears the only form is the 5227. HOWEVER, at the risk of a 5k penalty per year for filing the wrong form, I want to be absolutely sure. I may be smelling extension here now.

Terry D.

<snip>

I had a problem with information going to MAE3 so sent the file to ATX and they came back with some stupid stuff I will explain later but a client just walked in. I think this info will help, if not, I will get back to you.

Margaret -- AFTER 4/15, I would love to hear what ATX said about stuff not flowing to the Mass E3. I've never gotten _anything_ even vaguely useful or coherent on that type of issue.

Well, I did extend but not because of the 1041-A issue. When the 5227 was redesigned, I recall that at least part of the intent was to incorporate much of the information that was duplicated on the 1041A. My 2 CRUTs don't need it.

Did you have to reenter anything on the 5227? When I looked at the K-1 forms, the CRUT name, ein, etc. did not come over after deleting the 1041. The figures did, but not the other stuff. And the letter is wrong so I skip it altogether. The mailing address should be Ogden, of course.

My calcs all seemed fine. Good luck!

Margaret.

Same problem here with the CRUT name and address; etc not flowing after the 1041 was deleted. I am going to unprotect the form and type it in manually. ATX is a pain with these type of returns. Cam't load client letters either so you can't get the cover page. Geez whats next?