ATX Community

Proposed Security, Privacy, and Business Standards

JRS

Proposed Security, Privacy, and Business Standards for Authorized IRS e-file Providers participating in Online Filing of individual income tax returns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The IRS has published in Internal Revenue Bulletin: 2009-28 dated July 13, 2009 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-irbs/irb09-28.pdf) six (6) purposed Security, Privacy, and Business Standards.

These standards will assist with protecting taxpayer information collected,processed and stored by Authorized IRS e-file Providers participating in Online Filing of Individual income tax returns.

The IRS is requesting any comments be submitted electronically to: [email protected] on or before September 15, 2009. Please include “Announcement 2009–56” in the subject line of any electronic communications.

The following was pointed out recently by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA):

a. More than 130 million taxpayers entrust the IRS with sensitive financial and personal data, much of it on paper documents requiring sensitive but unclassified waste disposal, according to a TIGTA REPORT, WHICH STATES "IRS

NEEDS TO BE MORE CAREFUL WITH SENSITIVE TAXPAYER DATA". There is concern that the information could be used for identity theft crimes involving SSAN's, as well as credit card and personal data.

b. WHAT THE INVESTIGATION FOUND:

1. At every IRS LOCATION VISITED, TIGTA found documents containing personally identifiable information or other

sensitive data in regular waste containers and dumpsters. WOULD YOU BELIEVE THAT!!!!

2. Specific responsibilities associated with the waste disposal program need to be clearly defined and delineated. Without them, "the IRS cannot ensure that sensitive info is given the protection needed to prevent unauthorized disclosure or dissemination".

3. In terms of waste disposal and document destruction, more oversight is needed with venders awarded contracts

from the IRS.

c. IRS management agreed with all of the recommendations made in the report and is taking actions to improve waste

disosal, according to TIGTA.

"Will someone opine on the application of the referenced 6 Security Standards to the following?

I do not have an on-line web site nor collect information via that method.

I do e-file returns using ATX."

I am in the same boat. I don't even email tax information to my clients. All my work is face to face, except for e-filing.