ATX Community

Schedule D transactions and efiling

carolynm

At this late hour I have a return to complete with about 100 stock trades. I have a .pdf file from my client with the gains all nicely summarized. Is there anyway to get this into ATX for efiling purposes? I'm not about to enter all these transactions...will have to opt for paper return if I can't get them in.

Thanks

Carolyn

At this late hour I have a return to complete with about 100 stock trades. I have a .pdf file from my client with the gains all nicely summarized. Is there anyway to get this into ATX for efiling purposes? I'm not about to enter all these transactions...will have to opt for paper return if I can't get them in.

For this year, do like you'd do for paper - "See attachment" on the Schedule D and then send in the attachment with the 8453. Can not use PIN e-file.

You can convert that pdf to an excel spreadsheet, then make that a 'custom' form. Or you can 'copy' the data in the pdf, go to the Forms menu, select 'Create Spreadsheet', click on the blank first cell, then 'paste' the info onto the form. You may have to widen some fields for the data to show correctly, but it works very easily. Then just make sure it is included in the forms to be transmitted.

You can convert that pdf to an excel spreadsheet, then make that a 'custom' form. Or you can 'copy' the data in the pdf, go to the Forms menu, select 'Create Spreadsheet', click on the blank first cell, then 'paste' the info onto the form. You may have to widen some fields for the data to show correctly, but it works very easily. Then just make sure it is included in the forms to be transmitted.

If it's a 1040, 1041 or 1065 return, the IRS hasn't provided a mechanism for attaching files to a transmitted efile.

For the 10404 "See attached" in a one line summary will work. Just be sure to mail in a paper copy of all the trades with Form 8453. You'll probably need to come up with a date sold. It's early so forgive me if I'm still fuzzy, but I don't think Various can be used. Oh! And on the 1040 EFINFO, Misc tab, there's a box for Sch D Continuation that needs to be checked.

If it's a business return, there's a KB doc for attaching pdf's to efiled 1120 returns: http://techkb.atxforms.com/TSTKB.nsf/0/e7f...c7?OpenDocument.

:)

I had one Friday that had 142 sales. After entering everything, I started reading this board and found the attachment method. Oh well. Also found out that I had sales from 4 accounts, but she has 5 accounts and couldn't find the other 1099-B. It looks like I'll have some more typing to do today.