ATX Community

Transfer Files

joey's silly house

Joey's silly House,

Can you elaborate a bit as to what you are trying to accomplish here...

Do you want to set up the software installation to enable a multi user environment?

If that is so, then you need to designate one machine as the server and the other as the client during the installation process. I am assuming that is what you want to do.

A multi user set up will allow you to open up ATX software from respective machines independent of each other yet sharing the same database ( centralizing where clients returns are saved and stored).

Please advise.....

I can't believe a real tax professional would actually use the screen name you are posting on, but I guess it's a case of 'different strokes for different folks'. Anyway, I suggest you use the button above for MyATX then go to the Knowledgebase and look there for more detail on setting up the program on a network. You will get lots of detail there.

Joey's silly House,

Can you elaborate a bit as to what you are trying to accomplish here...

Do you want to set up the software installation to enable a multi user environment?

If that is so, then you need to designate one machine as the server and the other as the client during the installation process. I am assuming that is what you want to do.

A multi user set up will allow you to open up ATX software from respective machines independent of each other yet sharing the same database ( centralizing where clients returns are saved and stored).

Please advise.....

A multi user environment? I think this is exactly what I want to accomplish here.

The thing is, the software in my my old computer contain the files I need, and I think it's too risky to install it again.

Is there a way that I can install the software now in my anoher computer as a client to connect to my old computer?

Both the softwares are ATX 2008, I hope the softwares in both computers share the same database, but I just don't know how to do it.

Thank you anyway, your advice helps a lot.

What you do is leave the program on the old computer, and then run netsetup on the new one, to allow the program to set up the files to access that program. Don't install the program on both computers, it should be on only one. So the old computer will be the 'server' and the new one will be the 'workstation'. You may, if you wish, install the new program first on the new computer, letting it be the server, and then run netsetup to let the old one be the workstation for the 09 program, if the new one is faster, or whatever.

I have the last 3 years of ATX on a desktop computer that I plan to quit using. This year I bought a laptop and plan to use ATX on the laptop. Is there no way to transfer those desktop computer program and files to the laptop and them work? I know how to copy them with a crossover cable, I just don't know if ATX will let the programs run on the laptop.

If you want to use the laptpop as the sole computer you should install the old programs to the laptop, while it is not connected in any way to the old computer. Then you can copy over the data files, or you can export them then import them into the new one.

Thanks KC, that makes perfect sense. I don't know why I had not thought of doing it that way.

A multi user environment? I think this is exactly what I want to accomplish here.

The thing is, the software in my my old computer contain the files I need, and I think it's too risky to install it again.

Is there a way that I can install the software now in my anoher computer as a client to connect to my old computer?

Both the softwares are ATX 2008, I hope the softwares in both computers share the same database, but I just don't know how to do it.

Thank you anyway, your advice helps a lot.

Hey call my office on Monday 866-829-9777 (TRX) and ask for Ryan tell him I told you to call and he can walk you through this networking process it is not difficult.

Doug Hughes

TRX President