ATX Community

Neat Desk

Pedro

Hi

I found today on compusa store 3 different scanners 2 of them were Fujitsu S1500 & S510 and the other was a Neatdesk scanner,

as I am considering going paperless this tax season could you please give me a good advise based on your own experience which of them is better.

Here is a link for Neatdesk scanner:

http://www.neatco.com/products/neatdesk

Thank you

Pedro

Hi, Pedro,

I still use a Fujitsu fi-4010CU from four years ago; so I can't advise you about newer hardware. BUT, I believe I've learned that the crucial thing about going paperless is 1) get a reliable, *duoplex* scanner that 2) is bundled with the best document-management software.

Adobe Acrobat 6.0 was bundled with my scanner; so I gained full PDF functionality. AS important, I already had Visioneer PaperPort -- that I think is the best document-manager software out there. The 'genius' of PaperPort is its appearing to be a virtual desktop -- i.e., showing all documents as 'stacks' just as they'd sit on your desk -- AND its ability to import & export *every* sort of graphic-file format as you & your clients ever might need. Via Paperport, I have the infinite capacity to manipulate every scanned document and fax that I receive, and to generate digital or printed documents -- after I've digitally-modified those -- to send on. (Whenver possible, I store & send documents as *.TIF files -- 1/3rd the size of PDF files. But you DO need to be able to create PDF files, as Linux and other Operating Systems don't all handle TIF files.)

Hope this helps, TaxCPANY

Hi

I found today on compusa store 3 different scanners 2 of them were Fujitsu S1500 & S510 and the other was a Neatdesk scanner,

as I am considering going paperless this tax season could you please give me a good advise based on your own experience which of them is better.

Thank you

Pedro

Hi

Thank you

Pedro

I bought an S 510 last year from NewEgg. It didn't cost too much and does an excellent job for me. If you have a large practice, you might go to a more expensive model. As a bonus, you get Adobe Acrobat. I try to scan every document my clients bring. I also use it to scan all kinds of personal documents. I have scanned all of my credit card bills, utility bills, various legal documents, etc. in addition to tax and accounting-related documents.

I got rid of most of my file cabinets, and eventually will need even less storage.

I bought an S 510 last year from NewEgg. <snip>

One concern I have about the S 510 (and similar) is that they aren't TWAIN compliant, and I think that means they won't work on a network. And that means that either I have to do all scanning myself, or the scanner has to hook up to Gwen's computer so she can scan for me (she's been my official scanner the last two seasons). Has anyone been successful in hooking an S 510 to a network?