ATX Community

NT: Sad Duty done

Catherine

Hi folks --

Some of you probably recall my request for advice a while ago with some elderly clients in their 90's.

Well, the husband passed away last Thursday and I went to the funeral this morning. The widow was so glad that I was there, and I got a chance to meet her nephew with whom I'd had some dealings by phone. I declined to go to the cemetery or the lunch afterwards; as the only non-family-member it didn't feel appropriate to attend.

Both widow and nephew have the name and number of an excellent attorney to help them through probate once they're ready to face that, and a "to do" list was faxed to the nephew and mailed to the widow. They'll be calling me once they're ready to turn to paperwork issues.

But since folks here had offered help and support, I thought I should let you all know of this piece. Second client this year to pass. First one I'd never met, though -- worked through her daughter (also a client) who held POA, and I'd just done one return for her. This gentleman and his wife have been clients for several years.

Catherine

My heart goes out to you, Catherine. My oldest clients are 97 and 96, married 73 years. They are still amazingly active considering their ages. We attended the Cincinnati Symphony Saturday evening; the Chopin was great.

But I worry every time there is a hospitalization and see decline after each one. I hope they make it to at least 100!