ATX Community

Canadian taxes

OldJack

I have a one man small corporation that provided a service in Canada and they withheld $3,000+ taxes. I don't know yet if they made payment to the corporation or the individual. I know nothing about Canadian taxes could anyone give me a tip on Canadian filings?

Where do you get forms, etc.?

I have a one man small corporation that provided a service in Canada and they withheld $3,000+ taxes. I don't know yet if they made payment to the corporation or the individual. I know nothing about Canadian taxes could anyone give me a tip on Canadian filings?

Where do you get forms, etc.?

Here's the website for Canadian taxes - http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/menu-e.html

But, if you'd like to contact an EXPERT in Canadian taxes, I recommend Joseph Smith EA, (MST in 2011!), Fellow NTPI

TravelTax LLC, www.traveltax.com , Norfolk NE

Lynn Jacobs, EA, NP

Kenner, LA

What is required will depend on how he was paid. He should receive around March 15th a slip showing the payee, remuneration, travel reimbursements and taxes withheld if not an employee. If an employee, the slip will be a T-4. The filing position and requirements will depend on arrangement and what application the US-Canada Tax Convention may have. If he received the amounts personally, he will file as a nonresident and will pay tax at the Federal and Provincial level. Canada does not have a separate tax form for a nonresident, just the T-1 income tax return.

If I can help, e-mail me as I do a number of Canadian returns and have the software.