ATX Community

2009 ATX Depreciation

I voiced my concerns about the depreciation printing options via the forms pipeline and take this opportunity to share the response received: I have not yet downloaded the 2009 tax year program, so haven't perused the features in it.

"Dear Lynn,

While the Asset History feature was removed, the Next Year option on the 4562 reports are still available. On the 4562, go to the '4562 Statement', 'Tax Classification Report' or 'Detail Report' tabs and in the Type field at the top select 'Next Year Fed'. This will enable the reports to display next years depreciation and accumulated depreciation amounts for planning purposes.

Unfortunately, the Asset History feature had complications and increased return calculation times. The ultimate decision was to provide the best quality software solution for asset management without jeopardizing the ATX tax software or calculation speed.

If you are interested in reviewing the Fixed Asset Manager program, please contact our sales department who can provide a demo version and possible discount on the software.

Sincerely,

John Abel

Sr. Manager - Tax"

Lynn Jacobs, EA, NP

Kenner, LA

Mr. John Abel's (CCH/ATX Sr. Manager - Tax) explanation is ridiculous to those that are aware of the simple formulas that are used to generate the report. Just my opinion.

I had never looked at the 'history' report, but will now (in the 2008 program). But I always printed the next year federal report and am at least relieved that report remains part of the program enhancements.

Lynn Jacobs, EA, NP

Kenner, LA

As a result of my original inquiry re: removal of fixed asset features I was contacted by ATX and the following ensued.

I spoke with Dave Olsen, CPA Director, Product Management CCH Small Firm Services this morning who informed me that they did much due diligence before deciding to remove the fixed asset history. They allegedly visited with some 300 to 400 ATX clients who were surveyed about these features. I assured him that had they visited and or surveyed me they would not have removed any features from the software, I would like to know if any of you were visited and/or surveyed specifically about fixed assets and agreed that it was either of little or no use, didn't work correctly, etc?

He did assure me that ATX will be around in the future, based on their budgeted funds, changes and updates to the program, etc.

I explained to him that there is a suspicion that CCH is trying to push ATX users into another direction and that they have not been upfront with us in their handling of issues such as eliminating the online community, raising prices, removing functionality, etc.

I assured him that if this type of unilateral behavior continues they are likely to not just lose me as a customer.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

• 3 weeks later...

For everyones information, TRX is offering for $299, 1040 plus unlimited Fed & State E file. Unlimited Business Fed & State, no E file. For my practice this would work just fine. They have offered this package for the past 6 years although they just began offering Taxworks last year.

They are offering Taxworks, not Taxwise software which does include a full blown Fixed Assets Program For Free as do many other competitors. I will seriously consider switching to Taxworks for next year. I am waiting for a cd and will further evaluate and report back to all of you.

So lets not accept the devious actions of CCH so readily.

My good friend and colleague a CPA practicing in California doing in excess of 500 combined tax returns has been using Taxworks for a number of years and he swears by it.

Check out their web site and decide for yourself. http://www.taxworks.com/feature_list.aspx

Happy & healthy new year to all of you

Mike Dubin CPA

Eric,

Would it be possible to link all of the recent threads regarding fixed assets, depreciation, and all other related topics?

It appears that some new postings have not been seen and/or read the older ones.

Anything that you can do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & happy new year.

Mike Dubin CPA