ATX Community

NT-Remote Access Software

Karen Lee

My office is a small retail space in town (population 1200). For the past several years I have had an assistant to greet clients and do misc 'stuff'. This year no more assistant (too costly and just can't do the training and taxes at the same time). Our min wage in Washington State is 8.55/hr and with payroll taxes I expect my assistant to be productive and have billable time to support the position. Can't find anyone who can remember from Friday to Monday much less month to month or quarter to quarter without having to re-train. So much for that rant!!

The plan for this tax season is to not get involved in anything mentally heavy during office hours and complete jobs at home in the evening and on weekends. (too many walk-ins and phone calls) I have a laptop at home and have purchased another printer for home. Instead of using import/export function I want to access office computer for work at home.

I need some opinions on the software available and how it has performed from your experience.

TIA

Karen

My IT guy has me set up beautifully. All of my ATX files are on my server (which has a redundant hard drive, so there is backup in addition to the tape backup). I can access the tax software from my office or my home. At home, I 'remote in' to my computer through something called 'Radmin'. (www.radmin.com) Last year was my first tax season to use this method, and it worked pretty darn well. I think back to the years when I would backup the file to a CD, take it home, restore it, work, back it up, restore back to the office computer . . . sheesh! But at the time, I was so thrilled to be able to work from home that I thought it was great.

Good luck!