ATX Community

Increased Medicare Deduction on 2010 Social Security

SFBOB

With the decline of the stock market during the fall months of 2008 my client sold an annunities resulting in an incresed AGI of $100,000.00.The result was a Medicare cost adjustment of $110.50 per month, plus $110.50 penalty for the high income. Total result was $221.00 monthly deduction in the original $1089.00 monthly S/S. Client is single and AGI range is as follows:

$85,000.01 TO $107,000.00 Adjust $44.20

$107,000.01 TO $160,000.00 " $110.50

$160,000.01 TO $214,000.00 " $176.80

OVER $214,000.00 " $243.10

Clients normal taxable income is $10,000.00 plus non taxed $13,068.00 S/S

MFJ and MFS is a different adjustment.

When your client calls, tell them that the reason is detailed in the letter they received from S/S [That is if they read it and saved it]

As a general point of information; the client sold the annunities because she found that the insurance company had 85% of her policy value invested in the stock market on a fast train headed south in 2008.

Have a great Holiday Regards Bob

I sympsathize with taxpayers who get hit with this premium jump when there's a one-time increase in their income in a given year. I also have one client who has been hit with it from the inception and probably always will be. I'm a compassionate sort of guy for the most part, but in this case I'm a little more heartless - my answer to them is "Be grateful you have the income."

If it is a continuing thing, I don't have a lot of sympathy either but we had a client that had to sell his family farm to pay for the round-the-clock help he needed to be able to stay at home. This one time event caused his medicare premiums to jump, and he really couldn't afford it - he need the money to pay the sitters. But the law is the law - nothing could be done.