ATX Community

64 Bit Processors and Printing Problems

Oh Baby!

I'm running Vista with a 64 bit processor and the program does not always print. In order to get it to print, I have to reboot my computer. Every other program works fine and I can print from any other program.....with one exception, ATX. you would think that they would have a fix for this by now, it's the second year that 64 bit has been fairly popular. but no luck.

I had a similar problem with Taxwise last year. I was running it on a 32 bit Vista machine. At first it worked fine. But by early February it would only print to my OLD HP and to its internal .pdf writer. (Rebooting didn't help.) No printing issues with any other software, either. I'm moving to a 32 bit Windows 7 machine this year. I hope I don't have printing issues - or any other compatibility issues. I'm not really looking forward to moving 11 years worth of software and tax files over to the new machine. I had several issues when I moved to Vista.

I had a similar problem with Taxwise last year. I was running it on a 32 bit Vista machine. At first it worked fine. But by early February it would only print to my OLD HP and to its internal .pdf writer. (Rebooting didn't help.) No printing issues with any other software, either. I'm moving to a 32 bit Windows 7 machine this year. I hope I don't have printing issues - or any other compatibility issues. I'm not really looking forward to moving 11 years worth of software and tax files over to the new machine. I had several issues when I moved to Vista.

Now why would anyone keep records for 11 years? don;t you have a record retention policy and destroy or delete all documents once the statue of limitations passed?

We added my HP2035 to Wireless laptop which has Windows 7. Had to download driver for Windows 7 64 bit from HP website. Worked immediately. At the same time, it works with my XP desktop with original driver.

I keep the old software loaded because occasionally I'll get a new client who needs to file many years of back taxes. As long as I have the software, I might as well keep the (computer) files as well. As for paper files, many will get shredded soon since I now have everything on .pdf. Perhaps I do keep too much old stuff, but I tend to be a little paranoid. I had a client a few years ago tell me that the California tax folks were saying she never filed a tax return from 1983. They said she now owed several thousand $$. She knew she always got a refund from CA, but no longer had her tax records from that far back and could not prove or disprove she filed it. There's no statute of limitations on a return that wasn't filed. (I never did find out what happened. She was someone who typically filed her own return but had a couple of unusual issues one year. So that was the only year I saw her.)