ATX Community

1099 Input for dba's

BulldogTom

When you have an LLC with a dba, what line do you put the DBA on? I have an LLC with a long name that rent is paid to. The LLC is not exempt from 1099 reporting and is dba another name that is very long. Its W9 says Haxxxx Inxxxxxxxxxxx Gxxxx LLC, dba Pxxxxxxx Bxxxxxxx Pxxx

My problem is that all of that there is not enough space on to print on the line for name number 2. I can't put the first part in the Name line because it is not a person and I can't break it up in First Initial Last.

Do I put the DBA on the first address line?

Help. I am having a brain freeze.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Tom, since both names are on the 1099, either one should do for avoiding a mis-match issue. I've already had one here, too, and to make it worse, they had two address lines as well. So I just went with the first name, as that was clearly the legal name of the business, and also because if it's a computer matching, I'd think the first name would be the one in the system.

Are you sure? I think if you put the wrong name, in about July you get a letter from the IRS saying the name and TIN don't match.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Since the business has filed its tax return with "legal name dba name" the IRS computer should recognize either name for a match. Even if there is no match, so what .. there is no penalty and it just causes a reply. After all, the government employees have to have something to keep them busy and out of our clients hair. :)