ATX Community

Asset transfer between S-Corps

LouD

Client has 2 100% owned S-Corps. In 2009, one of the S-Corps closed it's doors and it's only asset, a trailer, is now being used by the other S-Corp. Since the transfer happened between 2 corporations with the same ownership structure, can that be done on a tax-free basis without having to show a deemed sale on the closed S-Corp and corresponding asset contribution to the remaining S-Corp?

If it is possible, how do I handle it on the closing S-Corps final return?

Thanks for any help or guidance!

A quick check might be to see if the trailer is fully depreciated. If so, it can be abandoned by the defunct corp and acquired by the remaining corp as a fully depreciated asset. That's all my brain can handle now. Back to 1099's, etc.

I disagree with abandoned and acquired at fully depreciated value. There are basically 2 ways to transfer:

1. Tax-free reorganization under code sec. 361.

These corporations are related parties and a transfer under code sec. 361 would require a "step into the shoes" tax basis. Also there is the "anti-churn rules [under code sec. 168] for MACRS depreciation that would not allow a different depreciation basis.

2. Liquidation/deemed sale with contribution under code sec. 351.

If Liquidation/deemed sale from the corporation to the individual, then distribution/sale to the individual would have to be at FMV with the liquidation corporation recognizing taxable gain/loss passed to the individual for 1040 taxes. The individual pays taxes and contributes the asset under code sec. 351 for stock at FMV.