ATX Community

Program version

ajuroff

What happens when you open the program with no clients opened and you pull down the menu and select update program?

I've done this a few times. A box pops up that says it has been updated. But I'm finding out that

it is NOT updating. I don't choose manual (because it doesn't give me the choice to "choose" what I would like to update) I choose the automatic (first one) so everything would update. It just isn't updating. So I go to the web and download from there. I've purchased ATX for 6 years and have never

had this problem.

This is what I do.

I select manual and then it tells me everything that it is available. I glance at my 3 states and 1040 (for curiosity). Then I hightlight them all and click on download. I have always done it this way and works for me.

I have always done that also. Won't work this year. My returns were rejected again this a.m. After

being on hold forever and finally talking to someone for about an hour, I was told that if you have

dial-up (I don't have a choice where I live...nothing is available) then even though the program says

it has updated, most of the time it isnt. A problem this year is what I'm told. Updated again from the web. Created and resent the returns again. Not getting my hopes up. Just getting more frustrated.

Some programs will automatically 'time-out' if a download takes too long. And dial-up can be slow, especially for the larger files, like the 1040 itself. The best way to deal with that may be to use the manual option, then select only a few forms at a time, gradually increasing the number till you find out how many you can normally get without a problem.

Thanks KC. I tried that too. When I click on Manual, I wait, then a box pops up that says everything

is up to date and there are no new forms available. Oh well.... always worked before. I give up. :dunno:

The good news is that returns are going through now without a problem. Yeahh..

I know it's not a great option, but you should be able to get satellite internet through a company like HugesNet. They claim to be available everywhere (in the US). The big downside is the price. I believe it is at least $70 or $80 per month.

Yeah, I've checked into that. (it is around $80 a month)I was going to do that until I talked

to other people who have it. They say during the day it's not that bad, but after 5:00, it's about

the same as having dial up. I have a full time job and prepare and efile returns after 5:00 so I

didn't want to spend the money if I wouldn't get the benefit. I'm just going to deal with it this

last tax season. I've been preparing taxes since my son was 6 months old and I've been saying that

I was done when he graduated. Well, that is this year. Not sure if I'm going to miss it or not. :)