ATX Community

CA Preparers - CA Paid Family Leave

BulldogTom

I know that CA PFL is taxable. It comes on a 1099G and the amount is in box 1 - unemployment benefits.

Is CA PFL treated the same as unemployment benefits and the first 2400 is exempt from tax?

If not - how do we get it to show up on the return. The software treats it like unemployment because the 1099 shows it in box 1.

Can any of you point me to a source for authority on this? I am kinda brain dead today (went skiing with my boys yesterday and can hardly walk this morning).

tom

Lodi, CA

Tom,

As I have read it, the Fed's treat the paid family leave exactly the same as unemployment, there is no way to separate it out on the 1099G worksheet so therefore I do believe it is subject to the first 2400 not being taxable.

When this first came out I researched the paid family leave being taxable in the first place and it was stated that while normal disability is not taxable the extended was and was to be treated exactly the same as unemployment. So I would say yes!

Deb!

Deb,

That is what I thought, but I am looking for something in an authoritative source to confirm. I did a return this weekend and I never gave it a second thought when the software excluded the first 2400. A couple hours later, I started second guessing it. Not finding anything in print other than the standard rule for unemployment.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Deb,

That is what I thought, but I am looking for something in an authoritative source to confirm. I did a return this weekend and I never gave it a second thought when the software excluded the first 2400. A couple hours later, I started second guessing it. Not finding anything in print other than the standard rule for unemployment.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I don't think you will find anything addressing this because it is a fed issue and they are the ones that already deemed it to be unemployment compensation.

Deb!