ATX Community

NT Idiot Sightings Part 2

Margaret CPA in OH

3. My daughter and I went through the McDonald's takeout window and I gave the clerk a $5 bill. Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her a quarter. She said, "You gave me too much money." I said, "Yes, I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar bill back." She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat the request. I did so and he handed me back the quarter and said, "We're sorry but we could not do that kind of thing." The clerk then proceeded to give me back the $1 and 75 cents in change.

Do not confuse the clerks at McD's.

4. I live in a semi rural area. We recently had a new neighbor call the local township administrative office to request the removal of the DEER CROSSING sign on our road. The reason: "Too many deer are being hit by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore." From Kingman KS

More to come... meanwhile, remember that these folks are out there and they are reproducing!

3. My daughter and I went through the McDonald's takeout window and I gave the clerk a $5 bill. Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her a quarter. She said, "You gave me too much money." I said, "Yes, I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar bill back." She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat the request. I did so and he handed me back the quarter and said, "We're sorry but we could not do that kind of thing." The clerk then proceeded to give me back the $1 and 75 cents in change.

<snip>

My first-ever "real" job (full-time) was cashier at a big Woolworth's (downtown Boston). Mind-numbingly boring. This was when cash registers that figure change for you were -just- coming out, and we had them and -had- to use the figure-the-change feature. Boy oh boy did those confuse the older folks -- they'd see $17.50 and pipe up "But this is only $2.50!!" and I'd have to explain.

My only amusement was to see if I could figure out the change faster than the register did. It's a skill I have retained, and it's lots of fun to freak out cashiers. I hand over the money and say "and my change will be (insert proper figure)" -- and that's what it turns out to be! The looks on their faces can be priceless. Try it sometime.

So I think it only fair that we now confuse the younger folks!

By the way, I lived in Boston 1976-1988. It could be that we crossed paths if you are as young as you appear.

I worked at that Woolworth's (in the lower level) on Washington Street from January to September of 1976. We may well have crossed paths!