ATX Community

FTHC

Bart

Is it possible to get the first time homebuyer credit before you file your tax return?

Sorry but after reading that question I think it may not be clear. Is it possible to get the money for the first time homebuyer credit without filing a tax return?

>>How? <<

Oh, well, I can think of a number of ways to "get the money" without filing a return. Amending the prior year is so obvious it doesn't even count as thinking. By how about taking a lesson from the IRS itself: reduce withholding by the credit amount so one gets the money in the paycheck? Or why not let a co-buyer claim 100% of the credit on an early return, and then share? (That method is suggested by the IRS itself.) Or, in the normal course of events one would calculate the credit at the time of filing an extension, and so could pay oneself the $8500 that would otherwise be sent to the IRS. There might also be non-tax methods to financially benefit from the credit, such as in a loan app or other transaction using cash expectations.

Of course, no one could use all of these techniques without considering other factors. But with appropriate planning for the credit, the money is indeed available separately from the actual tax return filing.

>>How? <<

Oh, well, I can think of a number of ways to "get the money" without filing a return. Amending the prior year is so obvious it doesn't even count as thinking. By how about taking a lesson from the IRS itself: reduce withholding by the credit amount so one gets the money in the paycheck? Or why not let a co-buyer claim 100% of the credit on an early return, and then share? (That method is suggested by the IRS itself.) Or, in the normal course of events one would calculate the credit at the time of filing an extension, and so could pay oneself the $8500 that would otherwise be sent to the IRS. There might also be non-tax methods to financially benefit from the credit, such as in a loan app or other transaction using cash expectations.

Of course, no one could use all of these techniques without considering other factors. But with appropriate planning for the credit, the money is indeed available separately from the actual tax return filing.

OK.... answers make sense. Guess I wasn't thinking out of the box enough.

(but, how do you "amend a prior year's return" without "FILING" an Amended Return?? )