ATX Community

disability pension

Kea

Client started receiving military disability pension in September 2009, but it was retro-active to December 2008. I believe this counts as a government pension. But with a real start date of September 2009 & an effective start date of December 2008, would he qualify for the $250 and should he have received it?

I wanted to check here before asking him. If it was included in the retro-pay, he may not know he got it. I'm tempted to fill out the form with a Yes on the pension and $250 in the amount. If it rejects then claim the $250 for him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Client started receiving military disability pension in September 2009, but it was retro-active to December 2008. I believe this counts as a government pension. But with a real start date of September 2009 & an effective start date of December 2008, would he qualify for the $250 and should he have received it?

I wanted to check here before asking him. If it was included in the retro-pay, he may not know he got it. I'm tempted to fill out the form with a Yes on the pension and $250 in the amount. If it rejects then claim the $250 for him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Is this person in the social security system?

taxbilly

If the taxpayer paid into social security while he was in the military, then I don't think this pension has anything to do with the stimulus payment. He would only be entitled to the Making Work Pay credit if he or his spouse had earned income. The $250 only comes into play if they are drawing social security or a government pension that totally replaces social security because they did not pay into social security. At least, that is how I understand it. If someone with more knowledge wants to speak up, this would be a good time.

If the taxpayer paid into social security while he was in the military, then I don't think this pension has anything to do with the stimulus payment. He would only be entitled to the Making Work Pay credit if he or his spouse had earned income. The $250 only comes into play if they are drawing social security or a government pension that totally replaces social security because they did not pay into social security. At least, that is how I understand it. If someone with more knowledge wants to speak up, this would be a good time.

You are correct, Gail.

taxbilly