ATX Community

Sch D ?

Eli

Client has several stock sales for 2009. Same fund, same sale date, but acquired on different dates. The 1099B has the acquired dates for each transaction. Can I group them & put 'various' for the acquired date on the Sch D or must I list them individually?

Thanks!

Eli

According to the Schedule D instructions, you must list each transaction. They "emphasized" this last year. Whether they are pushing it, who knows. If you can, you can import the 1099 B as an excel file into the return. Inputing would probably take a lot less time.

Hey Eli, how is everything in Texas? I agree the IRS does want these listed. You can use the various date option. I could be wrong but I think for numerous transactions JRS is correct except for I think you should attach the broker's 1099B to the 8453 and mail it in. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me. I hope you are doing well.

Terry D.

>> Same fund, same sale date, but acquired on different dates<<

Presumably these were all disposed of in a single transaction, so you only need one entry on Schedule D. The 1099-B does NOT have all the dates acquired because there is no place on the form for them. You are no doubt looking at a supplemental schedule that is not sent to IRS.

Hey Eli, how is everything in Texas? I agree the IRS does want these listed. You can use the various date option. I could be wrong but I think for numerous transactions JRS is correct except for I think you should attach the broker's 1099B to the 8453 and mail it in. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me. I hope you are doing well.

Terry D.

Hi Terry! Wel things are going well. Slowed down somewhat now. Still working at the refuge & keeping my head low :-) Seems there's at least one gun battle everyday now right across the border. Eventually it will spill across the border.

How's the family?

Eli

>> Same fund, same sale date, but acquired on different dates<<

Presumably these were all disposed of in a single transaction, so you only need one entry on Schedule D. The 1099-B does NOT have all the dates acquired because there is no place on the form for them. You are no doubt looking at a supplemental schedule that is not sent to IRS.

Jainen, as usual you are correct. I was looking at was a tax statement personal summary. Well I had already entered 61 transactions. Glad you guys are around to help us 'rookies'.

Thanks, Jainen! If you're ever down my way let me know & you'll get treated to a really good ribeye :-)

Eli

Tom,

If there was a cow casualty, believe me I wouldnt go anywhere near it :-)

A new employee asked in a staff meeting today if pepper spray would be a good thing to carry just in case they come up to a smuggler(s). If you're close enough to use the pepper spray you're in deep doodoo!

Eli