ATX Community

US Resident Living Abroad

Yardley CPA

I have a client who lives in Honduras. She lives with her husband (who is a resident of Honduras) and 4 children (all US Residents). Her only salary income is foreign income from the school she works at in Honduras. She has a small amount of dividend and interest from US sources. In calculating her return (including form 2555) it indicates she is entitled to the Making Work Pay of $400 and Additional Child Tax Credit of $2,103.

I don't believe she is entitled to the Making Work Pay, but is she entitled to the Additional Child Tax Credit?

Thanks!

Imagine for a second that she was in honduras for 360 days and that she worked for a US company and got a W-2. She only worked in Honduras, will she qualify for the make work credit? I would say yes. Now, I don't see the difference, since she is a US citizen who works and she must report world wide income. I would say that TP qualifies for $400 credit.

I believe she's entitled to both. There is nothing in the code that disqualifies her, that I see.

Thanks to everyone for responding. Her 2555 eliminates all of her income as her return is showing taxable income of zero. Her refund of $2,503 consists solely of the Making Work Pay amount of $400 and her Additional Child Tax Credit of $2,103.