ATX Community

SS ATTORNEY FEES

terry

You deduct the attorney fees that apply to the taxable SSA. In other words, if 50% of the settlement wound up being taxed, you deduct 50% of the attorney fee. Sorta like pastors not deducting the portion of expenses that apply to nontaxed income (housing allowance). And, you use line 28, so not subject to the 2% limit.

You lost me on the medical fees. I would think any out of pocket medical expense is deducted, like always. (Well, you know, in excess of the 7.5% of AGI)

And, you use line 28, so not subject to the 2% limit.

I have one of these right now too. Not being subject to the 2% reduction would save my client a tidy sum in tax. Is this because you are considering the legal expenses as impairment-related work expense of a disabled person? I would have put this expense subject to the 2% as any other legal expense paid for the collection of income or preservation of income-producing property.

I have one of these right now too. Not being subject to the 2% reduction would save my client a tidy sum in tax. Is this because you are considering the legal expenses as impairment-related work expense of a disabled person? I would have put this expense subject to the 2% as any other legal expense paid for the collection of income or preservation of income-producing property.

Well, according to Pub 915, p. 15 this deduction DOES indeed go on line 23. I am now just aggravated cause I KNOW I had this all figured out. I am sooooo sorry.

Well, I told you I was aggravated. I looked at a LSE I did in 2008, and I put the fees on line 28. I dug out another client's 2003 return, and I put the fees on line 22 (it's 23 now). I had a reason for thinking line 28 was correct last year. Wish I knew what it was. Things like this drive me crazy. Crazy, I tell you.