ATX Community

Decedent Tax Return

MargaretMort

A quick question--well, okay, two questions! Client passed away last fall, friend named to handle everything. First of all, I understand the friend can file the 1040 and sign as personal representative. I have the return done and am ready to move on. Then I think-first big mistake-can it be e-filed? I would guess that if it can be, I would need to have the friend sign a Form 8453?

The other question is, the client's house is up for sale. Now, as I understand the situation, the available money has been disbursed to the heirs, there was no need for probate, this friend has just been handling all the wrap-up stuff. What happens when and if the house sells--the local RE market tanked 2 years ago so it could take awhile.

I have never handled a situation like this before, usually there is a surviving spouse. I don't believe I need to file a 1041 from my research but I am questioning all my decisions this year and need your expert helps.

Many thanks.

MM

A quick question--well, okay, two questions! Client passed away last fall, friend named to handle everything. First of all, I understand the friend can file the 1040 and sign as personal representative. I have the return done and am ready to move on. Then I think-first big mistake-can it be e-filed? I would guess that if it can be, I would need to have the friend sign a Form 8453?

The other question is, the client's house is up for sale. Now, as I understand the situation, the available money has been disbursed to the heirs, there was no need for probate, this friend has just been handling all the wrap-up stuff. What happens when and if the house sells--the local RE market tanked 2 years ago so it could take awhile.

I have never handled a situation like this before, usually there is a surviving spouse. I don't believe I need to file a 1041 from my research but I am questioning all my decisions this year and need your expert helps.

Many thanks.

MM

It can be efiled