ATX Community

Dependency

helow

Was his son a full-time student for at least 5 months of the year? And did he provide over half of his son's support?

Yes the son was a full time students and he says he provided more than half of his son's support. But I do not know how he could provide more than 1/2 of his son's support since the son made more than the father!

Did the son save all of his money and live on what the father provided? That is one way the father could provide over 1/2 the son's support. The other way, of course, is if the father actually made more in tips than the income he is reporting as a cab driver- but I am sure that is not the case here. Perhaps the son gave his money away to charity.... :dunno:

>>The other way<<

In my opinion, there isn't any "other way." Run through the dependency support worksheet, and it says whatever it says. Remember that for purposes of determining support, housing costs are defined as fair market rent, NOT actual costs. If the father owns the house or has a favorable rental situation, it's entirely possible to provide support without the cash flow.