ATX Community

California Part Year Resident

samingeorgia

OK, I've fiddled with this blasted CA-540NR Part-Year form long enough! The lady moved to California in June; she earned 8,000 in Georgia and 13,000 in California. However, I can't see how I can show only the CA income on her Caloifornia state return. It's all W-2 income. According to what I read, "Column E" is supposed to be CA income and income earned while a CA resident. But the adjustment column is apparently for differences in law.

How the heck do I do this, it says she owes several hundred dollars. Since she has moved back to GA, I may tell her to throw the damn thing in the trash can.

>>show only the CA income on her Caloifornia state return<<

You must show ALL her income on her California return. Column A is for the total federal amounts. Columns B-C-D are for differences in law--for example, American Social Security would be subtracted because federal taxes it and California does not, but generally W-2 income is treated the same under federal and state law. Column E is for just the $13000 income earned while a California resident.

California tax is calculated on her ENTIRE $21000 of income, but she only owes 62% of that because of the ratio of her California income.