ATX Community

e-file New Mexico extension?

Kea

I've added the New Mexico extension - RPD-41096. Can it be e-filed? I'm getting an option for NM piggy back or state only, but not getting a box for extension only (like for federal). The federal return is already e-filed & accepted.

Client is a singer who lives in Texas. She was in New Mexico for about a month and earned $2000 which was reported on a 1099Misc. Her expenses were higher than that, so she has no NM profit (and possibly an NOL??). NM requires a tax return for ANY NM source income. NM return looks like a tax is being calculated, but then it doesn't seem to go anywhere & I haven't taken the time to study the form or instructions. (That's planned for late April!)

Thanks so much.

There is a check box on page 1 of the PIT-1 for filing an extension. You also add when the Fed extension expires. According to the instructions no other form is required if you have the fed extension. I efiled this way last year, but it is not necessary for my client this year.

The federal in not on extension. It was filed and accepted.

I marked the box on the PIT 1 and added the NM PIT 8453, but it still isn't giving me the option to e-file the NM RPD-41096.

I thought the extension would save me time to learn about the NM state return. It might be faster to read the instructions and go ahead & file NM. OK, maybe not!

It is not that difficult. Everything transfers over fine and all you need to do is make your adjustments.

I don't know about the NM extension, but I will say that the NM return has better and more reliable flow-throughs from the Federal. I always have a bunch of corrections and adjustments to do with MA (especially that &*$%# health care form - that one frequently needs over-rides), but NM meshes well and extracts most of what it needs seamlessly.

Catherine