ATX Community

I got one...Old State Withholdings?

taxbrewster

So, had a client walk into today, actually a friend. Needs to file 05-09 tax returns, should get refunds on all, well, the years that have not expired. However, 05-07 just have the IRS transcripts. Any way, we can get a hold of what was withheld for the state of michigan while he was working?

Was on the phone with the state for an hour today, time not well spent, ran in circles...

Most of the companies are not around anymore, so contacting them is out...I was thinking maybe social security?

Anyone run into this before?

>>the years that have not expired<<

I suppose you need two years in particular by Thursday, 06 for the 1040 and 05 for MI (extensions for 09 of course). I would do the Fed for both years, but hold off on the state 06 until you can try some other things for the W/H. For MI 05 you might just try a guess, I mean estimate, and assume the state will correct it for you. For the other years, when you have more time you can probably find some W/H tables that give you a better estimate.

Also, I hope you are asking at least a thousand bucks in prep fees, with maybe half paid up front. I mean, is he your friend, or are you his friend? 'Cause you sort of added that description as an afterthought.

So, had a client walk into today, actually a friend. Needs to file 05-09 tax returns, should get refunds on all, well, the years that have not expired. However, 05-07 just have the IRS transcripts. Any way, we can get a hold of what was withheld for the state of michigan while he was working?

Was on the phone with the state for an hour today, time not well spent, ran in circles...

Most of the companies are not around anymore, so contacting them is out...I was thinking maybe social security?

Anyone run into this before?

I ran into it on a couple of old MA returns. Spent disgusting amounts of time on "ignore" finally to be told that Massachusetts DOES NOT KEEP old withholding info. So I extrapolated probable state w/h from what little info I did have and we filed. I'm sure they will magically find the info they claim not to keep and we'll get a letter -- but it's too soon to tell, yet.

But you have my sympathies.