ATX Community

Income tax or sales tax on Sched. A

SunTaxMan

In reviewing a taxpayer's return for 2008, I saw on Schedule A the option to use "income tax" rather than "sales tax" - BUT the Preparer also added in Sales Tax on a vehicle. My reaction - you can only add sales tax on a vehicle, IF you chose the "sales tax" option and the table figure - that you cannot use income tax and STILL add the sales tax paid on a vehicle.

Am I not remembering correctly?

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. We did, 4 of 5 children at family get together. Just wonderful. (Fifth child has 10 of his own children and lives 6 hours away.)

Thanks,

>>the Preparer also added in Sales Tax <<

I'm skeptical about this kind of question. Too sparse on detail of how and why the return was prepared and then reviewed. I suppose it means the sales tax was shown as "other tax" on line 8. On this forum we generally think of "Preparer" as a professional, but the original post doesn't say who signed the return. Perhaps the preparer had been confused by an update class or news article about the change for 2009.

SunTaxMan is one of our solid members, so I accept it as far as it goes. I'm always skeptical anyway. I just think we haven't been told everything.