ATX Community

FIRST TIME HOME BUYER QUESTION

ralphv

I have a client that took the 1st time HB credit on a home purchase in 5/2009 ($7,500)and was included in her 2008 return. Client sold the house to a related person on 12/2009 and returned the credit on 2009 return. Now client buys a new main home on 7/2010 and would like to take the credit. She would like to amend her 2009 return and get the $8K credit for her latest home purchase. Being that she had already owned a main home even though she only owned it for 7 months, in my opinion she would not qualify for the credit again. Am I correct?

>>client buys a new main home on 7/2010 and would like to take the credit<<

There is no credit available for a home bought after April 30, 2010.

taxbilly

Taxpayer signed contract before April 30th. Closed on 7/07/2010.

Contract must be signed before 5/1 and closing must happen before 7/1.

Contract must be signed before 5/1 and closing must happen before 7/1.

According to the IRS website, The Homebuyer Assistance and Improvement Act of 2010 extended the purchase date requirement for homebuyers who entered into a binding contract before May 1, 2010, to purchase a home before July 1, 2010. Under the Act, these homebuyers may claim the credit if their purchase date for the home is before October 1, 2010

According to the IRS website, The Homebuyer Assistance and Improvement Act of 2010 extended the purchase date requirement for homebuyers who entered into a binding contract before May 1, 2010, to purchase a home before July 1, 2010. Under the Act, these homebuyers may claim the credit if their purchase date for the home is before October 1, 2010

Oops, my bad. I knew that and forgot.