ATX Community

Reducing basis in assets

Gail in Virginia

I have a client who has cancellation of debt income for their S-Corporation. They have depreciable assets that still have basis left, so I would like to reduce their basis in those tax attributes to eliminate the cancellation of debt income from their reportable income. How do I show this on ATX? I would like to keep the assets listed so that if and when they are sold I know that the basis is zero.

I have a client who has cancellation of debt income for their S-Corporation. They have depreciable assets that still have basis left, so I would like to reduce their basis in those tax attributes to eliminate the cancellation of debt income from their reportable income. How do I show this on ATX? I would like to keep the assets listed so that if and when they are sold I know that the basis is zero.

Increase your accumulated depreciation to show that the basis is zero. This adjustment is done as of the first of the year in which the cancellation of debt occured.

Maribeth