ATX Community

Anyone e-file 941's & 940's?

MN dhawk

I efile for myself and several clients. You and/or the client need to get a 10 digit PIN from IRS. If you use ATX, there is an online application in the 941 form. That worked for most clients and myself but has not worked for another client for unknown reasons. We had to apply through the mail. There is also a form (I can't recall the number just now) that your clients sign to authorize you to prepare the returns and file.

I am trying to be nearly paperless and find it great to efile. I save copies electronically and send them to the client for their records.

What is involved in setting up for filing my own and my clients 941's and 940's. Is it worth it?

While I do not e-file my clients' 941's, I do them for my own firm. You have to request a 9 or 10 digit PIN number from the IRS first. After that, it's a snap. I e-file the other quarterly payroll reports for my firm (state withholding and state unemployment), but not for my clients.

I still mail the reports to my clients for their signature, and checks, if applicable. The client is responsible for mailing the quarterly payroll reports.

The IRS has more information at http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=105629,00.html

Lynn Jacobs, EA, FNTPI, NP

Kenner, LA