ATX Community

converting from standalone to network workstation

cred65

I know that there are posts on this board in this regard but can't find them.

I originally installed 2009 on my new computer as a standalone. I now want to access the data from a networked workstation. Any hints?

TIA

It seems a straight forward installation. Each year we install the server portion on the first computer and are ready to expand to a network version. Some of us don't use the network version because we don't have the resources (in my case, I don't have a second computer). In some other cases, they don't have a fast enough network, the knowledge or need to run a network version of ATX. Keep that in mind.

All you need to do in your case is to map a network drive to the existing server (your 2009 Tax year work computer) from your new computer and install from there. Both computers will use the same data and only one will be able to work on a client at a time. The book that came with the new 2010 software on page (lucky) 13 shows how to do it. I believe step 2 is missleading since you will not find the server icon without, first, mappinp a network drive to the "server". You should call tech support and ask them so maybe they correct their mistake for 2011.

I believe step 2 is missleading since you will not find the server icon without, first, mappinp a network drive to the "server". You should call tech support and ask them so maybe they correct their mistake for 2011.

Thanks, it worked. That was the step I was missing.