ATX Community

TRX product vs TaxWorks

Crank

I have been viewing the TaxWorks manuals, training videos, etc. to better understand the TRX product. They are similar although the TRX product is a somewhat less functional version of TaxWorks. TaxWorks adds a 5th viewing pane to the main input screen, of the actual IRS form, so you can view it without having to "Flip" or Peak". So far I havent found how to do this in the TRX version and it may not be possible.

One undocumented feature I found in the TRX version is the ability to mark a field as an estimate using "Ctrl-E". TaxWorks also allows this via a right click menu option. While this is a desired feature I haven't found anyway to view all estimated amounts in TRX or even if it will stop the filing of a return with unresolved estimated fields ... so it may be useless.

If anyone has found any other undocumented features in TRX that are in TaxWorks please post them.

Additionally, I am hoping that the "local" or "city tax" forms are expanded to include the most common Pennsylvania forms. Right now it is limited to extensive Ohio locals and limited Pa forms (Phila, Pitt & a generic)

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

I seem to have found another bit of functionality in TaxWorks that is not present in the TRX version. TRX forms located in the "Xpert" tab (Called "Form" Tab in TaxWorks) can not be added to the "Xpress" tab (called "Common" Tab in TaxWorks) by right clicking on the form as TaxWorks allows and is noted in the TRX Help file in the "Tips & Tricks/Forms Pane" section.

So it appears that we are stuck with the forms that are fixed in the "Xpress" tab of the forms pane which in my opinion renders it basically useless.