ATX Community

Roth Conversion Entry in ATX

JohnH

I'm running a preliminary on a return with a Roth Conversion from a Traditional IRA. Taxpayer is over 59-1/2 and wants to pay the tax on the entire distribution in 2010. (No splitting between years)

I entered the amount in Box 1 & 2a of the 1099-R input screen. Checked the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box and entered Code 7 in Box 7. Then under the "Conversions from Traditional SEP, etc" section I checked the box and enter the total converted amount in the blue box to the right.

However, when I look at page 1 of the 1040, the total shows up in 15a but not in 15b. Now if I go back and change the entry in the blue box to -0-, at all shows up on 15b as it's supposed to.

I can live with the entry if that's what it takes to get the figure on the 1040, but what's the deal here? It seems to be operating in exactly the opposite manner from what it says. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong based on the above info? Thanks.